Regular physical activity benefits your health by controlling your weight, boosting your energy, promoting better sleep and helping to prevent disease.
- Aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day.
- Aim for 150 (2.5 hours) to 300 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity each week (such as brisk walking or cycling) to help improve blood pressure, cholesterol, heart health, as well as muscle and bone strength.
- Aim for 75 to 150 minutes of vigorous intensity physical activity for even more benefits, to help prevent cancer and unhealthy weight gain.
- Include strength activities on at least 2 days each week.
- Swap the car for the bike
- Swap getting off public transport at the front door for getting off a few stops before
- Swap watching the kids play to joining in
- Swap the car park closest to the entrance for one further away and enjoy the short walk
- Swap lunch at your desk for taking your lunch outside
- Swap sitting for standing on public transport
- Swap the lift or escalator for the stairs
- Swap watching TV for a walk with a family member, friend or the dog
- Swap watching the footy for going for a kick with friends
- When on the phone, swap sitting down for walking and talking
See more ideas on physical activity at makehealthynormal.nsw.gov.au
Click here to access the new national guidelines on physical activity.